127 - 130 And even more oops

127 - Tried to snap when there were five church spires/towers in view but didn't manage it -train pulled out of station. How many churches etc per square mile in this part of East Belfast? And that's not counting mission halls etc with no tall bits.




128 - Brilliant morning - thanks to Clara and the anon photographer for pics as my camera died on arrival. Some of us from the New Irish Chamber Choir sang at the unveiling of a new piece of art from Ross Wilson - very moving ceremony and a big deal for this Loyalist community to acknowledge the slaughter of the 10th and 16th Irish Divisions as well as the 36th Ulster Division at the Somme. Massively big deal for them to agree to have a Bible verse in Irish as well as English. So now, for a new generation, a new way to "behold the sons of Ulster, marching to the Somme".


129 - The button boot my mother wore as a child. Badly written - despite use of the definite article, she had/has two good legs... and did have other footwear! This one's partner went walkabout over the last 70 years but this solitary, soft, leather lovely has it's own tale to tell. I adore this wee boot and used it as a creative prompt in a creative session about a new history website we're building.


130 - Happy 80th birthday Ewla; I got to decorate the cake mum made for a family friend, and lead the rabble in some trad Irish songs. We'd a lovely evening.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't East Belfast the most populated in terms of churches per square mile in the whole of Europe?

    Where was that new memorial situated Wils? Looks an interesting one and good for photo ops perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,

    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that! As a child, my home congregation was Richview on the Donegal Road and there were about a dozen halls or churches within the mile.

    The memorial is opposite the community centre in Blackmountain Grove - just off the Springmartin Road - alsmost opposite the entrance to New Barnsley copshop. Ross Wilson's doing another one in Tullycarnet next month and we're singing again... maybe a bit closer to home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wils, I don't have a blog but my daughter in law and a niece do. I am excited to happen onto your blog, and I love the shoe. I'm almost 80, I live near Portland Oregon. When I was a young teen I had 2 pen pals from Ireland, I wish I had their names and towns where they were located. My maiden name is Holland and my great grandfather and grandmother came from Ireland. We don't know anything about them but the closes I can come looking at their ages on the death certificates they came to America during the Irish famine. I hope to talk to you again. Bye Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to have you stop by Elizabeth. I had a great aunt and uncle who moved to Oregon around the turn of the last century. Small world! On the other side of the family, I have a photo of a great (X?) grandmother who was born during the famine - she's quite elderly in the photo which was probably taken around the turn of the century too. A lot of people left for the States in 1845. Her name was Charlotte Beers. I'll pop her photo on for today as I can't get the other one to upload. Welcome to the world of blogging - maybe you'll pop by another time! Maybe you'll even join us in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting on my post. As I said I'm almost 80 and I get so excited going into different blogs and when I saw N Ireland I had to make contact. Bye, Elizabeth again

    ReplyDelete