Wedding cake

Lovely day today - had seriously good thunder and lightening storm with lots of monsoon like rain - puts me almost into a trance.  I love how it sweetens the air afterwards.
 
It's always good to have a reason to bake - and today, while not being mesmerised by the weather, I've been baking and decorating. 
 
The bride-to-be wanted a traditional rich fruit as the bottom tier of her wedding cake, above that is a madeira, then a moist, lemon layer, a chocolate layered with ganache buttercream and raspberry jam, and finally another small madeira cake. 
 
The final touch on the five tiers will be a few fresh orchids placed on top and around the tiers.  It's simple, but quite elegant.  I'm a little nervous of how well it will travel out to the reception in Fermanagh - the same place the G8 met a few weeks ago.  It's a two hour drive from here.... quite a distance to nurse the fragile royal iced piping.  I hope they drive it gently!
 

Today, I'd orders for another two cakes - a four tier wedding cake and a single tier birthday cake.  I didn't actually mean this to happen....  it's a lot of fun...maybe more so than making radio documentaries! (Though it sure doesn't pay so well.)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment