I sing of brooks, of blossoms, birds and bowers...









How lovely is this?  I'd been looking at some poetry online - was trying to remember the author of 'gather ye rosebuds while ye may…' 
and came across another verse written by the same 17th century poet - Robert Herrick.  

It almost sums up the photos I took on the visit to a friend today - a beautiful, sunny  afternoon when Northern Ireland was looking it's best. 
(They were taken near Minnowburn and Edenderry if you know south Belfast.)

 With the exception of the birds, I was obviously in the vibe for the verse I'd find later - and since he mentions cakes, I've added two that I did for a bride last week - not often wedding cake gets a mention in poetry!!!
  
"I sing of brooks, of blossoms, birds and bowers,
of April, May, of June and July flowers.
I sing of May-poles, hock-carts, wassails, wakes,
of bridegrooms, brides, and of their bridal cakes."

No comments:

Post a Comment