A possible challenge...?

So I've set myself a wee challenge or two this year. One is to make as much of our own bread as possible and the other is to "try" and produce a garment a month. So, not a big stick to beat myself with, but a carrot to encourage me to have a go and there's no harm done if it doesn't always happen. 

The garment a month is on course - mainly because I'd so much hanging around time in hospital with a poorly mum. January started off with a simple knitted jumper for my brother's 50th birthday present. Mum then fell for multi-green sock wool of all things... and requested a crocheted waistcoat - February's garment.


 I'm pleased with both garments - especially as they've been appreciated during the endless cold weeks of February and March. Also pleased at how productive I feel! On the needles now, a baby cardigan and a hooky blanket to use up the stash.... And at the machine, a black linen jacket (unlined, though I'll probably regret that). I've had to stand back from work until Easter for sure and have taken on the role of full time carer for now, so am making the most of my spare time.



Bread wise, I've made white yeast, brown yeast, potato farls, soda bread and wheaten. Tonight, having nursed a sourdough starter for weeks now - it looked like a bit of a faff and what with various bouts of illness and an elder fall, I just kept feeding  it and bunged it in the fridge until I'd more time.

Had I known how easy it was, it would have been made ages ago. It's tangy and delicious. I'll play with the recipe a little - probably won't add any whole wheat next time just to see how that works out. Anyone any suggestions for flour combos to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment