In the beginning...

Seems like a good place to start, though what to begin with? I'm half way into the current chapter of "me" so maybe a "story so far" note?

I've been out of work since December 13th 07 following a diagnosis of something not too pleasant. My reaction, I've discovered, was not typical. Being told I had breast cancer scored about 4 on the personal richter scale. Knowing I wouldn't need to go into work for a while hit a 6. Every cloud has a silver lining huh? It's not that I don't like my job. I actually quite enjoy it, but it had worn me threadbare and I was in corkscrew mode, drilling down deep to find the resources to keep going.

That was December. Now it's mid April and the surgery is a distant memory. I'm in the third week of my third of six cycles. Odd word that. Cycle. It conjures up images of fresh air and health. No clues beforehand about the feeling of someone pumping almost a litre of wall-paper paste into your veins. Three cycles and one week to go to the end of the chemo. (4062 hours to be accurate - how sad is that! Then there's the radiotherapy, which isn't on the radar yet as it takes me too far away on the calendar.)

Until this current chapter, I'd been pretty healthy, pretty happy and pretty much wasting time. Being home-based makes me so much happier. That's one to unpack another time.

3 comments:

  1. WAY-HEY!

    Good to see you in Blogland, at last! I look forward to wasting even more time in here now I have your postings to read as well.

    Keep blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeay... you're to blame... loved the 100 things list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've linked you into my blogroll.

    That's bLogroll ;-)

    ReplyDelete