365:024


In an Austenesque sort of way, embroidery seems like a Sunday afternoon activity, and chain stitch seems appropriate. Ellie - my aunt - is cared for in a place where no-one seems to know who owns what clothing and more worryingly, no one seems to mind. Happy confusion reigns. Dementia, alzheimers and the elderly mentally infirm live in this care home - physically anyway. Mentally and emotionally, they're more likely to be found either in the past or wandering in the daze of days between then and now.

Despite having a name tag stitched into every garment, folk often wear other people's clothes. I'm hoping that having her name embroidered smack bang on the front of the softest, loveliest new nightdress might draw attention to the "mistake" if the wearer is not "Ellie". Anything to make a girl feel special.

3 comments:

  1. it's good that your aunt has someone who cares for her

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. I used to work in a nursing home so I totally know what you mean. I just love the name Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're very good with her at the home Judith. I live with the guilt of never quite feeling I visit enough.
    Good to hear from you again Venus. I didn't know you worked in a nursing home once. The things you find out on a blog!

    ReplyDelete