The Wedding Album

Thought for those dedicated followers of fashion, you might like to look here to see what everyone looked like fifty years ago. For those reading locally, the wedding was in McCracken Memorial Presbyterian in Belfast (Mum's maiden name was McCracken) and the reception was in Cranethorpe House which became what we know as the Park Avenue Hotel.

We had mum's wedding dress on a manequin at the 50th anniversary party - with the head-dress propped on my never-used wig stand. It didn't work! Whatever way the polystyrene head was fixed on, it looked as if it was hovering above the body - a bit sureal, like some thing from Dr Who! That said, the dress is still lovely.

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I stopped by because of your comments on the profile. Ireland, quilts, bible studies, and your back to the stove. Though I live in Arizona now, where at times the temp hits 3 digits, I do remember the chill in the am or evening and actually sitting on top of that old wood burning stove when the embers died down enough to do so. Though I visit Oregon often i do suspect AZ is probably the best place for me.

    Nice site, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is so beautiful, but I've learned it's the bride that makes it so...

    The boys all lined up in their little uniforms made me laugh...

    Tell your parents Happy Anniversary!! What an occasion...most don't make it to 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you Donna May and thanks for your kind comments... there's nothing like a stove to warm up my cold Irish bones in the winter. I'm not sure I could cope with the heat there!

    Dana, what a lovely thought! Do you have Boys' Brigade in the US? Message to the folks passed on and they're delighted so many are getting to see the photos - it's all been very special for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the closest thing we have to Boys' Brigade in America is the Boy Scouts. Within the Baptist's we have something a little more closely related called Royal Ambassadors (girls have Girls in Action). Much more Christ centered in their teaching.

    (Psst, I think your mom is just as beautiful now, if not more. I meant to say that in my first comment...:))

    ReplyDelete